Skip to main content

The Fall and the Call

(A Deacon Ordination sermon based on John 21:15-19 for Sunday, June 23, 2013)

“Fall and call go together” [Christopher Bamford, “The Gift of the Call,” Parabola, Fall 2004, in Philip Zaleski, ed., The Best American Spiritual Writing 2005 (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2005), p. 4].

That’s why we don’t expect you to be perfect.

That’s why we do expect you to be you.

So what do we get in getting you? We get sinners, that’s what we get.

There’s no point in denying it or dancing around it; we’re ordaining sinners and installing sinners as deacons today.

The rest of us are sinners, too, so what we really have here are sinners ordaining sinners.

And that’s good news.

It’s good news because it means that we are all in this together; we are a bunch of sinners who have stumbled into the grace of God and who are by that grace trying to follow Jesus and trying to serve a broken world.

Simon Peter can serve as a role model for us. I can’t help but wonder if, as happy as he must have been to find that Jesus had been resurrected, he was also anxious about seeing Jesus again, given that the last time he has seen him it was just as he denied knowing his teacher and friend. Have you ever hurt someone but comforted yourself with the assumption that you would never have to see them again, only to have them turn up unexpectedly? That’s what happened to Peter.

I imagine Peter on the beach that morning, chewing on his piece of fish while hovering around the edge of the group, simultaneously trying to and trying not to catch Jesus’ eye. Then Jesus called his name: “Simon, son of John!” and Peter’s heart leapt into his throat while his stomach hit his feet. I see Peter walking slowly over to Jesus, perhaps bracing himself for a reprimand (he never forgot the time that Jesus called him “Satan”) or an absolution. But he got neither.

Instead, he got a three-fold question and commission; three times he heard “Do you love me?” and three times he heard “Feed my sheep.” And he spent the rest of his life loving Jesus and feeding his sheep.

You have not been called to be a deacon because you are perfect or because you are even particularly good. You have been called because you are a human being who has been saved by the grace of God and thus have the capability of loving Jesus and of feeding his sheep.

We need you to be who you are in all your broken gloriousness. It is as the songwriter Leonard Cohen put it:

Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.


Besides, when you heard your name, you responded. You will continue to hear your name called and you will continue to respond. I think it is good that now, when someone around here calls “Mike,” all three of us will look up [note: both deacons being ordained are named "Mike," as am I]. That is as it should be. We are all in this together. We are all servants together. We may not know which one of us they are calling so let’s just assume it is all three of us.

I said that we don’t expect you to be perfect—and I meant it. Still, there is one way in which we do expect you to be becoming perfect. Jesus said, “Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect” (Matthew 5:48). What does that mean? Kathleen Norris gets it right when she observes that “Perfection, in a Christian sense, means becoming mature enough to give ourselves to others” [Kathleen Norris, Amazing Grace: a Vocabulary of Faith (New York: Riverhead, 1998), p. 57]. It means growing in love so that you think of others before thinking of yourself and become willing to give yourself up for others.

Perhaps it is only when you fall down that you can appropriately look up; perhaps it is only when you know that you don’t deserve to hear his call that you are ready to hear his call; perhaps it is only when you know how imperfect you are that you are ready to be perfect.

We need you to be imperfect and perfect. We need you to help us to be aware of who we are and of who we are becoming. We need you to show us how to fall down and then to get up and keep on serving …

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing Belief (Mark 6:1-6)

(Preached at Rocky Creek Baptist Church, Forsyth GA, on July 8, 2018) I wonder how much we really believe in Jesus. That may sound like a strange thing to ask people who have come to church, but it’s something we should give some serious thought to. We may have more in common with the people of Jesus’ hometown than we care to admit. When Jesus encountered the people in Nazareth, “he was amazed at their unbelief” (v. 6a). We may be amazed at it too. After all, they knew him. They had probably heard about his teachings and healings, and now he was coming home. We might expect them to welcome him as the hometown boy made good. But they didn’t. They instead “took offense” at him. Given the questions they asked, we might express their attitude as something like, “Who does he think he is, anyway? After all, he’s one of us, and he’s no better than we are.” They even seem to put him down a little bit: “How can a man who works in construction also work miracles?” The bottom li

An Experiment in Preaching

A friend who in his late fifties took a new pastorate said that he had written the last sermon he ever intended to write, meaning that he planned to use the vast collection of sermons that he had built up over his career and produce nothing new. I have in my paper and electronic files every sermon I have ever written; I even have the outlines, some of which were lifted straight out of the back of my trusty Thompson Chain Reference Bible, from my first halting efforts, which were quite different than my later halting efforts. I have at times “re-preached” some of my “greatest hits”; in so doing I heeded the wise words of my wise father who once told me, “If it was worth preaching once it’s worth preaching twice.” And if it’s worth preaching twice maybe it’s worth preaching thrice or more! Over the last twenty-five years I have written full manuscripts for 99% of the sermons that I’ve preached and 90% of the time I’ve taken that manuscript into the pulpit with me. Last Sunday I began an

What I’ve Been Trying to Say: Practice Love!

(A sermon based on Philippians 2:1-18 for Sunday, April 26th, 2015--my last sermon as Pastor of the First Baptist Church of Fitzgerald, GA) When all is said and done, it all comes down to love. So “love” is the word and the reality with which I want to leave you. Well, actually it all comes down to worshipping God. But God is love—that is, God is most defined by God’s love and so to worship God is to worship the One who is perfect love. And actually it all comes down to following Jesus. But Jesus showed us what kind of love God’s love is so to follow Jesus is to practice God’s kind of love. To worship God is to worship the One who is love. To follow Jesus is to follow the One who showed us what love is. So it all comes down to love. I decided long ago that I would in living my life always try to come down on the side of love. I decided long ago that I would in carrying out my ministry always try to come down on the side of love. I decided long ago that I would in lead