Skip to main content

Preaching on the Edge

This week I heard Homiletics Professor Dr. Jana Childers point out that when one person is listening to another person she receives over 50% of the message through the speaker’s body language and only 7% through words; the rest comes through tone of voice. For those of us who experience hard labor in giving birth to our words and who thus love them like only the mother who brought them into this world can love them, that’s a humbling statistic.

Still, it got me to thinking about what my body language says about my message.

Dr. Childers said that when the preacher is speaking about something that calls for concentrated thought on the part of the congregation, it is good for the preacher to stay behind the lectern. Frankly, I have always preferred to stay behind the furniture. I used to think that was because I liked to have some protection between the congregation and me. Now I know that it’s because I want my listeners to give serious thought to that to which I’ve been giving serious thought. And I really do.

Dr. Childers also pointed out that when the preacher does move around, it is important not just to walk back and forth; that, she said, is “the physical equivalent of a monotone” and it is for the preacher’s benefit. She said that if the preacher is going to move, it should be in a triangular movement; that is, he wants to move toward the congregation and then back. It is about eye contact and personal connection.

Such triangular movement is difficult in our church’s pulpit, which is not very deep (please avoid cheap shots about any obvious parallels with the preacher’s sermons) and which is crowded with pulpit furniture, speakers, and musician’s stands (all good things, mind you). If I want to approach the congregation, I have to walk down several steps because, like many Baptist churches, we don’t really have an altar; we have steps. (Oh, remind me to tell you about the sermon during which I walked around among the worshipers threatening to slap one of them. I had a point. Really.) Ordinarily, though, I don’t walk toward the congregation.

Not long ago, some of my parishioners said that I scared them when I preached. This surprised me, given that my hard-earned reputation is one of mellow, reasoned graciousness. As it turns out, they were not talking about my words or about my delivery; they were talking about a habit I have of sometimes perching on the edge of the platform, the front half of my feet jutting out over the edge, while I am preaching. I wasn’t even aware that I did it (which is not a good thing, since Dr. Childers says that our movement should be purposeful). “I’m afraid you’re going to fall off the platform,” these caring ladies—they were all ladies, no doubt because the men either (a) hadn’t noticed my predicament or (b) didn’t really care if I fell—said to me.

To which I replied, “Well, if I do fall, at least y’all will remember me.” Or something like that.

I was telling Dr. Childers (who has lived and taught in San Francisco for three decades but had no trouble dealing with my accent) about my perching (perching preaching?) habit. I told her that when I started paying attention to it I realized that I do it when I am at what I regard as the dangerous or challenging or critical point in the sermon; it happens at the moment at which I know that I am in danger of going over a cliff over which I truly believe I must go if I am to be a follower of Jesus and over which people must go with me if they are going to be followers of Jesus.

It is usually, frankly, a cliff over which I am afraid I will go alone.

“It would be helpful to reflect on what that says about a preacher’s vulnerability,” Dr. Childers said.

“Indeed it would,” I replied …

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amazing Belief (Mark 6:1-6)

(Preached at Rocky Creek Baptist Church, Forsyth GA, on July 8, 2018) I wonder how much we really believe in Jesus. That may sound like a strange thing to ask people who have come to church, but it’s something we should give some serious thought to. We may have more in common with the people of Jesus’ hometown than we care to admit. When Jesus encountered the people in Nazareth, “he was amazed at their unbelief” (v. 6a). We may be amazed at it too. After all, they knew him. They had probably heard about his teachings and healings, and now he was coming home. We might expect them to welcome him as the hometown boy made good. But they didn’t. They instead “took offense” at him. Given the questions they asked, we might express their attitude as something like, “Who does he think he is, anyway? After all, he’s one of us, and he’s no better than we are.” They even seem to put him down a little bit: “How can a man who works in construction also work miracles?” The bottom li

An Experiment in Preaching

A friend who in his late fifties took a new pastorate said that he had written the last sermon he ever intended to write, meaning that he planned to use the vast collection of sermons that he had built up over his career and produce nothing new. I have in my paper and electronic files every sermon I have ever written; I even have the outlines, some of which were lifted straight out of the back of my trusty Thompson Chain Reference Bible, from my first halting efforts, which were quite different than my later halting efforts. I have at times “re-preached” some of my “greatest hits”; in so doing I heeded the wise words of my wise father who once told me, “If it was worth preaching once it’s worth preaching twice.” And if it’s worth preaching twice maybe it’s worth preaching thrice or more! Over the last twenty-five years I have written full manuscripts for 99% of the sermons that I’ve preached and 90% of the time I’ve taken that manuscript into the pulpit with me. Last Sunday I began an

The Letters to the Seven Churches: Ephesus (Revelation 2:1-7)

(Second in a series on the Book of Revelation) Chapters two and three of Revelation contain individual letters written to the seven churches in Asia Minor to whom the entire book of Revelation is addressed. We should see these letters as seven actual letters written to seven actual churches in seven actual cities. There is absolutely no evidence that would cause us to see the seven churches as somehow representing seven periods of church history, as some would have us do. Our appropriate use of these letters is twofold. First, we can use them to gain insight into the historical situation addressed by the book of Revelation. Second, we can look for parallels between their situation and ours so that we can accurately apply the message in the letters to our own situation. Let us first look at some of the details of the letter to Ephesus. First, note that the letter is addressed to the “angel” of the church. Some have suggested that the “angel” of the church is the pastor o